Thursday, April 9, 2020

Poetry Challenge Day 9: Ekphrastic

*The prompt today was to write an ekphrastic poem. Which is a poem inspired by a work of art: a painting, a sculpture, a photograph. Writer's Digest had five photographs we could use as inspiration for our poem. I decided to not have a visual connected to my post today to see if the poem would be enough for you to see the prompt in your mind.

Ekphrastic #5

I feel the darkness of doubt
Heavy on my shoulders
The bars keep the light of life
From my hands

My ambitions left in my pockets
Reduced to a few coins
Some lint and a candy wrapper
But I keep patting them hoping for more

Each day filled with regret
Of not finding a way out of this room
Of course I know that there is a door
I just can't see it (nor do I try)

Instead I watch the birds fly
From this simple square
Cut into the walls 
Of a room I built for myself

No comments:

Post a Comment