Monday, April 27, 2020

Poetry Challenge Day 27: Massive


Believe Again


It’s early in the morning
    but the sun has beat me to the sidewalk
The neighborhood is up
    Figures move in kitchen windows
A jogger ahead of me
    A new puppy taking its owner on a sporadic walk on the road to the left 
Music playing from my earbuds
Water trickling down the curb ways
    to storm drains
    from last night's rain
and sprinkler systems

I enjoy the morning
    like I have for 42 days now
Each day new but the same as yesterday
Ahead I see a massive puddle
    at the T-junction 
        of Elm Drive and Sycamore
The reflection of
trees
    mailboxes
    and houses
move across the surface as I approach
Until I am standing at the edge
    and all I see is the endless blue sky 
The world I’m in is now below
I pause the music
I wonder
    Is this a puddle from the Wood Between Worlds?
    Can Aslan see me standing there?
Like a child I become dizzy with the possibility of magic
    Suddenly the wind pushes at my back
        as if to say
        “Believe
            and jump in”
Is this like platform 9 and 3/4 at King's Cross Station?
The water seems to hold a parallel world
Can I call the Goblin King like Sarah did?
Is the choice between a red and blue pill just in the heart?

For a minute I stand at the cusp
    of reality and childhood belief
I bend my knees, just a little
    The wind
    again, strong at my shoulders,
    speaks 
Instead of pushing me
    It brings white petals down from a nearby
    Bradford Pear tree
Like little clouds
    they populate the puddle
    Crushing my own blossoming childhood view of the magical world
    reflecting at my feet
I turn to face the wind
I am surrounded by the petals
    Like a swarm of fairies, they bombard me
        covering my shirt
    One sticking to my glasses
I feel something inside my chest crack
    Another gust of wind
        Surrounded again in a wave of white petals
        I faintly hear a lion’s roar
            I bow my head in reverence of the moment

I turn back to the path I was on
    I hit play
        Music fills my head
But my heart takes flight as I step into the puddle
    heading home

No comments:

Post a Comment