Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Poetry Challenge Day 21: Love / Anti-love


*I decide to try to write a love poem around a moment that could have two outcomes. The love / anti-love poem put together. The moment is a huitain poem, the decision is written in two sonnets with a single couplet that works for both sonnets.

Believe In


The Moment (huitain)

Facing each other we seek it 
in the middle of a lost crowd.
Obligations in one pocket.
The other filled with dreams avowed.
Eyes hold steady, speaking out loud
my voice shakes as I ask you to
believe a fairy tale allowed.
You pause, eyes drifting down, no clue.

You Say Yes (sonnet)

As you grab my hand with yours that would soon
shine bright with ring, vows in ceremony
house bought with last of our dimes, kiss at noon
love in the afternoon, such a memory.

Soon a son to carry on my name rite.
Daughters to follow. We spend many nights awake.
Check homework, heal relationships, write
to-do list, and watch how years can take

away friends, yet build a family around
a table for the holidays. The joy
of milestones fills scrapbooks, pictures abound.
Dancing in an empty house, time is coy.

You Say No (sonnet)

My hand outstretched, you turn away too soon.
Heartbreak is a special ceremony,
I call your name. Stand alone at high noon.
No goodbye, or soft kiss for memory.

The days turn to months, years, a healing rite
I follow my muse, that keeps me awake.
Pen to paper, sorrow to page I write.
Others try to unchain my trust, they take

silence as poetic license around
their affection. Their soft hands hold no joy
for my desire to see your heart abound
through my years. At a distance I stay coy.


Concluding Couplet

A moment is all love needs to change life’s
path. For this poet, it cuts like a knife.

2 comments:

  1. This poem touched my heart. Unfolds memories of what should have been, and makes me wonder. You are truly a talented poet. I’ve alway known that, and you continue to prove it. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. There are a handful of moments in our lives that would drastically change things... many of them revolve around love...

      Delete