Sunday, April 5, 2020

Poetry Challenge Day 5: Moment

Driveway Basketball

The summer sun was bright
Gatorade bottles lined the bumper
of our minivan
My shirt dark with sweat

There is a universal moment all fathers
Must undergo
    We are different men on the other side
    and so are our sons

We always played best of 5
    I had never lost a series 
Games played to 11
    have to win by 2
The three point line was the last section of the driveway

My son was in junior high
I was a year into 40
    I was now looking up to him

The series tied 2 games to 2
Game 5
    I found myself down
        and winded
        my legs wobbly
    shots blocked when I drove
        short when I found space to shoot

Maybe it was the sweat in my eyes
    but when he checked the ball
    I swore I could see him five years in the future

A young man
    confident 
        and strong

I called timeout
I needed a drink
He took one, too
    but we were quiet
    there was more than the summer heat in the air
   
My son only need a point to win
    I needed six to tie
As I asked him to check
    I felt my heartbreak like it had done so many times before
A father’s heart is scarred from both joy and pain
    moments of joy hurt the most
        I steadied myself for the outcome

I drove left
Crossed over to the right
    pulling up for a jumper
He elevated to block the shot
    knocking it past the check line
Before I could even turn around
    the ball was approaching the rim

Nothing but net

He yelled, “Yes!”

Exhausted I dropped to the concrete
The sky was a cloudless blue
Silence

My son’s smile and hand appeared above me
“Good game,” he said, 
like we always do
I said 
“You earned that,” as he helped me up

I turned around 
    On the grey concrete a dark imprint of my torso
    like the body outline of a murder victim

It wasn’t a crime scene, though
It was a right of passage
    For both father and son

No comments:

Post a Comment