Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Poetic Form 41: Contrapuntal

All the World

It feels like the weight of the world
is strapped to me like a backpack
that someone has tighten the straps
so tight they dig into my armpits
The moon is a spotlight
And I am on stage
At the end of my driveway
I can’t shake the weight of the world
around to a comfortable spot
or remove my arms from the pack
without dislocating my shoulders
My audience is every star in the galaxy
The crickets my orchestra
So I trudge forward with the weight of the world
But I never received the script
For this show and the moon is out
Casting light on my spot
sighing like Robert Frost
at the fork in the road as others
pass me by, laughing in groups
And I don’t know which way is stage right


Poetic Form #41: Contrapuntal
A contrapuntal poem intertwines two (or more) separate poems into a single
new poem. The traditional format is using one line of poem A, then a 
corresponding line in poem B from start to finish, but you can combine them
in different ways. I took the creative liberty of messing with the form.

Poem A: “Weight of the world” - available in my book From My Years.
Poem B: “The Moon is a Spotlight” - Unpublished.

No comments:

Post a Comment