Monday, July 6, 2020

Poetic Form 29: Free Verse

Believe


I’m trying to hold on, I swear, 
to believing in love.
Dear God, I feel like an 8 year old again,
hearing the stories that Santa isn’t real
from the school yard bullies.
Standing on that cusp of a belief
between what I feel on Christmas morning
and what my mind knows of the world.
Even though I can’t stand their voices,
their jaded taunts.
Always in a group, their laughter mean.
My mind knows there is truth
in their destruction of my joy.

Is there no longer a desire to see what love can do?
Have we dumped all our resources into hate?
The flames high,
heat radiating for days.
I know how tempting a fire is in the middle of a cold night.
Red flames dancing seductively,
promising to keep the wolves at bay.
But the fire will only burn if it is constantly fed.
There is only so much a person can sacrifice to pain,
until there are no more planks left to build a life with.

Dear God, I am tired!
My armour pierced.
My reserve spent.
My fingers blistering.
My body weak from holding my children away from
the onslaught of division and wreckage.
I am tired!
My eyes closed from the sweat dripping into them.
I want to believe,
I want
to believe.

To believe…

I believe,

I do...

I have lived long enough to know
that Christmas mornings
are still filled with joy
because I am the one that wraps the presents,
fills the stockings
and places the packages under the tree,
as all my children dream.

I know of the joy they will feel come morning,
because I believe.
I believe in love,
    even as I stand up on spent legs.


Poetic Form #29: Free Verse
Free verse is a form that is free from limitations of regular meter or rhythm, and 
does not rhyme with fixed forms, yet still uses literary devices like metaphors, 
personification, irony, and similes.

No comments:

Post a Comment