Thursday, July 9, 2020

Poetic Form 32: Chanso

The Headline Read

I walk the streets filled with the debris
of last night’s summer storm when I see
a soaked newspaper’s headline decree

“3 Dead.” The rest is folded under,
lost in the puddle. I feel thunder
echo in the branches. I wonder

about the story untold of life’s
end for three people. Maybe a wife?
Friends? Or a fight that ended by knife?

As I step around the fallen leaves,
and tiptoe through puddles, the wind grieves
with me the cold truth no one believes.

The headline was one of too many
stories that fall like rain. There’s plenty
of moments ignored like lost pennies.

As I turn home,
I suddenly 
feel very alone.


Poetic Form #32: Chanso
The Chanso form consists of five or six stanzas with an envoy that 
is half the size of the stanzas in the poem. The stanza structure depends on the poet. The main rules are that each line of the poem should have the same number of syllables, and each stanza should be uniform in line length and rhyme scheme.

No comments:

Post a Comment