Wednesday, April 27, 2022

PAD 2022 Day 21: Sound

 


This poem is presented in its rough draft form for the PAD 2022 challenge and will be revised. 


PAD Prompt: Sound

Poetic Form: Irregular Ode


“Ode to Music”


A minivan filled with voices,

Singing about Bruno

Smiles and laughter

As I hit a bad note

For decades music has filled my ears

And comforted my soul


As a child living with the other parent

bedroom in the unfinished basement

My little radio gave me lyrics

to dream about

instead of the darkness that filled the space

outside the doorway


The moon walk took me to another parent

While I learned to express myself

On cardboard

I felt like there was no stopping me

The break in the beats made me dance

My coin drop was word

I made poetry with my toprock verses

But I was known for my own suicide

Coming out of a windmill

to fall as if on a cross

It never hurt as bad as my unanswered questions of life


Another step-dad

Another genre of music

Grunge filled my college dorm

I knew why I never went home

Even as I screamed the question

“Why go home?”


New friends 

Shared that we all have unanswered prayers


In all genres

I found love songs

and had to hit repeat on heartbroken lyrics

Until someone found me 

and we had our song

had our dance

Then wrote a new family musical


My playlists are like photo albums 

that bring tears to my mind.

Snap shots of all this life has given

and taken from me


After fifty years music is a landslide 

that is music to my soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment