Saturday, April 24, 2021

April Poetry Challenge 2021: Day Five

 



Day 5 Prompt: The First (Blank)

Form: Free Verse


The First Time I Saw a Spirit


It was past my bedtime

I was six years old

My father

sitting at the table

Illuminated by the light above

His shoulders sloped down

He did not know I was there

I walked to his left

that is when I saw my first spirit

A demon, a wisp, floating

above the ice cubes bobbing

 in caramel colored liquid

My father sipped the spirit 

down with the liquid

As the glass hit the table a different

spirit would materialize

I must have let out a breath

because my father turned toward me

But it was the spirit speaking

his words dragged out of his mouth

slow and trembly


“What are you doing up?”


His hand heavy on my head

I stepped back, 

afraid of the spirit

swimming in his eyes


“Had to use the bathroom”


My father smiled

I did not recognize it

There were too many teeth


He sipped the second spirit

a third appeared

I stumble

as the wisp, the demon,

smiled

at me

   like my father


“Goodnight” I said


And hear a grumble from the figure

At the table

As he sipped again

 and again

 and again.


I did not sleep well for years

Until I finally gave into the spirits

beckoning

But I have no son to bother me

It is just me

Ice

Caramel liquid

And a little spirit floating above my glass.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment