Thursday, April 22, 2021

April Poetry Challenge 2021: Day Four

 

Day 4 Prompt: Active

Form: Free Verse


"Easter 2021"


Easter morning

All the eggs have been found

Worship filled our souls


I’m out walking, trying to remove the age from my legs


It has been

A year since the world locked down

I notice some homes have

Out-of-state plates

While others have nothing but dark windows

How many stories have ended in the last 

356 days

How many lives 

began in those same thousands of hours


I feel the contradiction of this world

As the sun warms my face

With the promise of a new beginning

Yet, the breeze cools my neck with the memory of winter


Our stories are solid beneath our feet

But flow together like cirrus clouds in the sky above me


My name 

unknown to almost everyone

My title of father, though, has cemented generations to come


I don’t know 

If my neighbors see me reach my front step

As I open the front door

My family knows I’m home

No comments:

Post a Comment