Thursday, January 7, 2021

January 6, 2021

 

January 6, 2021

I stand upon a hill

    overlooking my city

    searching for a peaceful place to write


Even though the sun

    has not set

    the horizon is dark and moving

        like smoke


The darkness billows out

    covers the land and sky

    moving towards me

 
Street lights flicker on 
    for a second 
    then are extinguished 
        little firecrackers popping
 

I follow the firework display 

    while darkness covers

    the street and buildings


I frown as people scramble

    out of buildings

    only to be snuffed out

        like the street lights


As my city disappears

    I feel my hair move

    as a breeze grows strength


In seconds the wind howls

    I swear I can hear

    the violent sound

        of teeth gnashing


The wind tears tears from my eyes

    my ears ringing

    as I bow my head


I set my feet and shoulders

    against the approaching darkness

    now at the base of the hill

        I am afraid


My chest hurts as my heart

    tries to break free

    to find a safer place


 The darkness rushes

    over me, I kneel

    It sounds like a pack of wolves

        but I feel no teeth


The world around me becomes silent

    I wait a moment

    to open my eyes


Reluctantly, I lift my lids

    I see nothing

    until my eyes adjust

        to the darkness


I can see the faintest outlines

    of the world around me

    shoes, notebook and pen

 
My first thought is 
    what will tomorrow 
    be like now 
        I hopelessly sigh
 

On instinct, I find my 

    notebook, pen and thoughts

    I start to write


While the ink saturates the paper

    my pen becomes a light

    I look up to see

        other small flames


The darkness is being punctured

    in the city below

    stark light against the stillness

 
For a moment  
    I think I see

    the constellation

        Ursa Minor


I stand, watching the single flames

    start to migrate

    to the center of town


The lights move as one

    becomes two

    becomes three

        becomes together


The darkness dissolves

    in ragged patches 

    from the light of talent


With my pen and paper in hand

    I start down the hill

    to join the others

        removing this blanket of darkness

 

No comments:

Post a Comment