Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Day 5 PAD 2023




This poem is presented in its rough draft form for the PAD 2023 challenge and will be revised. 

“Lockdown in Nebraska”

A scheduled practice drill.
Lights. Locks. Out of Sight.
Stay silent to save us
from death on the other side of the door.

But the students can’t help whispering
about yesterday when a nearby
small town school didn’t have
a scheduled practice drill.

A stranger appeared on school grounds,
holding true to a threat they sent
on social media - the school went;
Lights, Locks, Out of Sight.

My administration pulls the fire alarm.
Someone knocks - pleads to come in.
I motion to the students with my hand,
stay silent to save us.

I can’t help but feel disheartened
in the darkness of my own classroom.
I do not know how to protect us
from death on the other side of the door.


Poetic Form: Cascade






No comments:

Post a Comment