Thursday, August 6, 2020

Poetic Form 55: Golden Shovel



Why Poetry

-after Langston Hughes

Even in the darkest moments I hold

a pen with a fire to capture the fast

and fleeting muse that commands my mind to

fill the spaces between walking and dreams.


The strokes of ink are arrows, hoping for 

the gods, for the titans, to reveal if

I am worthy to mix a life with dreams,

or if words stay in my mouth when I die.


Each step I take is a verse of my life,

that I write with rhyme - sometimes. Breathing is 

a pact between impossible and a 

faith in flight. My heart can be broken-winged,

but poetry sets me free like a bird.


No matter the hue of the moment that

spurs my mind. These words, windows that cannot

close, allows my muse open lines to fly.


Poetic Form #55: Golden Shovel

The Golden Shovel form uses a line or two from another poem.  Use each

word in the line (or lines) as an end word in your poem. You keep the end

words in order as they appear in the original poem. (So, you can read their poem

reading the end words.) Make sure to give credit

to the poet who originally wrote the line (or lines). Your poem does not have

to be about the same subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment