Tuesday, May 3, 2022

PAD 2022 Day 28: Sight


 This poem is presented in its rough draft form for the PAD 2022 challenge and will be revised. 


PAD Prompt: Sight

Poetic Form: Haibun


“The Ghost of Me”


7 a.m. bus trip on the back highways of Nebraska. A beautiful day for a track meet. Tilled farmland rolls across my window. Gray, with small rows of dirt. Every once and awhile a farmhouse breaks the horizon. A change in the sunlight reveals my reflection. I see a ghost of who I used to be. Cheeks heavy with decades. Eyes aided by glasses. And as the bus rumbles I feel the soft weight of a body that used to be athletic. I suddenly feel as sparse as the fields moving through my reflection. I have coached longer than my athletes have lived. The ghost of me frowns in jealousy as it fades away into another unplanted field.


Nestled on a hill

Sits a square cemetery

With the names of ghosts


No comments:

Post a Comment