Tuesday, February 9, 2016

I write





I write
    because no one seems capable of returning a shopping cart to the cart corral
    or slowing down for a yellow light
    or using a blinker to help other drivers know what they are doing

I write
    because there is too much hate in the world
    It is infecting our everyday life
    A 19-year-old rapes and kills a 66-year-old woman because he “had nothing better to do”
    Children can not go to a movie, school, shopping, or a basketball game
         without some kind of violence: gun, knife, or words

I write
   because school board members have personal agendas
   Teachers are burned out from testing
        tired from screaming parents (that won’t return a shopping cart)
   Students don’t even care what they will be when they grow up
   They have the newest app, Facebook friends, and 10k likes
    How can you want anything more than that?

I write
    because there is enough money
    It just isn’t used for the the things we say are important
    We preach one message but spend on something else
    Even the civility we get from the drive thru is scripted

I write
    because sunsets and sunrises never stop being beautiful
    A day is always an opportunity to show love
    Even if it is as simple as returning a few carts to the corral

I write
     for my family and friends
     To let them know I love them
     That I will stand for them
       no matter the rising waves of pain in this world

I write
  because my heart beats blood through my veins
  pulsing to my fingers
     that produce these words
     this poem
     for you to read

No comments:

Post a Comment